Sunday, June 29, 2008

The Odd Couple



Remember those famous comedy teams of yesteryear?
Like, Abbott and Costello, Laural and Hardy, Rowan and Martin, Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis, Burns and Allen. Well, add another comedy team: The I-Man and The Pacman. They are the latest odd couple in the seemingly never ending battle on Race in America. These men are the Felix Unger and Oscar Madison that makes you laugh when nothing's funny. Believe me when I tell you both of these men belong together. I'm not buying anything either one of them is saying. All of a sudden, I'm suppose to believe that Imus (the I-Man), got "the Holy Ghost" and is now a righteous defender against the racial oppression of African Americans and Pacman in his response to Imus' quisquilian comment, plays the victim. Wait a minute! I think we have made progress. Two men: one White-one Black, have both finally spoken with one voice: Dumb and Dumber. Both men suffer from a racialized psychosis that is common to most Americans. Each man lives in a state of denial that has been molded and shaped by our country's psychosocial response to racism. So, when I call Imus and Pacman the Odd Couple - they might have more in common with us than you think.

No comments: